Saturday, July 14, 2012

Overdue Thank Yous!

Several fabulous bloggers have bequeathed awards to me over the past month or two and I've had a hard time getting to them.

First, Emily King at her blog has awarded me the Booker Award. The rules are simple (Ha!) to list my top five favorite books EVER. This is impossible for me. I'm bending the rules and listing my top five favorite I've read so far THIS year. In no particular order, they are:

  1. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
  2. Stolen by Lucy Christopher
  3. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Steifvater
  4. The Disenchantments by Nina LaCouer
  5. The Angels Are The Reapers by Alden Bell
I pass this award on to Ms. Tracy Brown at Write On!


The next award I received was from Jaycee De Lorenzo at her blog. The Leibster Award!
Anyway, y'all know how I feel about rules, but here they are:
The Rules...
2. Answer 10 questions the tagger has given you and give 10 questions to the people you've tagged.
(Okay, so there were really five rules, but since I'm cheating this is the only part I'm doing and since I've gotten this a few times - I'm only going to tag none of you - if you want to answer the questions - you're tagged!)

1.  Are you a dog or cat person?  Both, but probably more dog than cat

2.  An asteroid is headed to Earth.  It's going to strike in 24 hours, and there's no Bruce Willis and his oil crew to save the day.  How do you spend your last day? 

Writing an end-times poem and sending it down river in a glass bottle. Drinking bourbon. Letting my horses run wild and crazy all over my neighbor's big hayfield. Feeding my dogs from plates. Sardines for the cats. Hugging. Kissing. Laughing. Crying. Bonfires. Fireworks. More Bourbon.

3.  What's your favorite scent? My horses.

4.  Spiders or rattlesnakes - which one is scarier? Rattlesnakes - no contest.

5.  Worst movie you've ever seen that you still kinda love. Okay, huge Austin Powers fan here

6.  Do you believe in Aliens? Sure, why not. Seems kind of egotistical not to.

7.  Name one blog you consider a must-read? VeronicaSicoe.com

8.  Book you're really looking forward to coming out? The last of Beth Revis' Space trilogy

9.  Favorite fictional character of all time? Bonanza Jellybean

10.  The top item on your bucket list?  I'd really love to see Machu Picchu 



The next awards came from Katrina DeLallo at her blog, The World Crafter. The Tell Me About Yourself Award and The Sisterhood of World Bloggers Award ask that I answer seven questions about myself that you might not know. So, I'm going to dig deep.
  1. A character in my novel, Cast in Gold, is named after a real live ninth grade crush.
  2. I was a regatta rat as a kid, hauling around after my dad who sailed Star boats. We went as far north as Connecticut to sail. He literally had a mouth like a sailor and yelled and screamed so horribly that I got to where I refused to crew for him when he would ask. On ground, he was a perfect gentleman. My mom still calls him a jelly-filled donut with a crusty coating.
  3. My grandfather had a bathroom like in the book and movie, The Help. It was the only one I liked to use at his house. He's gone now and I loved him very much despite his error.
  4. My chemistry teacher was a nun named Sister Mary Bob. Picture the scariest, small, round, spectacled, habited nun you can imagine. Now put a ruler in her hand. Yeah. I made a D.
  5. My ancestry is German Jew (the Alsace-Lorraine region), Swedish, English, and Nova Scotian. 
  6. Real, racist rednecks bug the crap out of me. I end up having a reverse racist reaction. I'm racist against racist rednecks.
  7. I'm incredibly spiritual. I think we're all interconnected. So #6 really bothers me about myself and I don't know how to get over my visceral reaction. I'm still trying.
I'm supposed to tag y'all. I don't know how many. You want to be tagged? You're it. Tell me more about you! Dig deep.




7 comments:

  1. I really need to read the Scorpio Races. Congrats on all your awards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hugged that book when I got to the end. I read her Wolf books and liked them, but didn't love them. I LOVED this book - so incredibly gorgeous - a real masterful piece of writing.

      Delete
  2. I love the smell of horses! Always have, always will -- even though I don't own any. And your plan for the last 24 hours before the asteroid hits sounds like a deal. :D

    Congrats on the wonderful awards, Jaye. Deserve them, honored them with great bits about yourself. :)

    Thank you very much for the mention. If I weren't already up to my ears in work I'd feel tagged. *sheepish grin*

    And don't feel bad about your reaction to rednecks. I'd be worried if their attitude didn't bother me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, come on, Vero - Play! You can answer just the end times question :0) And favorite books, I want your list.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the awards. You're right--rattlesnakes, no question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Scorpio Races was brilliant. She wrote so well! I think you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting into the XmasinJuly! I just saw it in the comments over at Ruth's.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, do you ever wonder why they call it 'your two cents?'